24 April 2008

2 recipes for the price of one!

En français ici.
Well this week, like last week, has been a light meal sort of affair -- after all the gourmet food of last weekend. I bought lots of yogurt and some fruit for yogurt shakes:

Here I use my Jedi mind powers to keep you from noticing the crumbs on my tablecloth...

My mom often used to make us yogurt shakes with protein powder with breakfast or after school. They're pretty yummy, but it can be hard to find a flavor of protein powder that goes well. She uses Spiruteen by Nature's Plus, I think. Needless to say, I didn't find this in France so I put in bananas instead, which are also good for thickening.

Simple Yogurt Shakes
(for 2 people)

3 individual plain yogurts (or a little more than 1 cup)
1 cup raspberries (strawberries are good too)
1 frozen banana (cutting in half or quarters before freezing makes it easier for the blender)
a splash of fruit juice (your favorite or a combo) to taste

Blend it all together and drink it! Also a yummy light dessert at the end of a meal.

I've been alternating this yumminess with tomato salad after finding delicious funky-looking tomatoes called Coeur de Boeuf in French (don't know in English!):

With fresh tomatoes (especially fresh out of one’s garden, which are the best of course), I find it doesn’t take a lot of futzing to make them absolutely delicious. I keep it simple and use this recipe from my dad:

1. Cut tomatoes into round slices and arrange on a plate.
2. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top.
3. Salt, pepper and sprinkle with dill (sometimes I use a little thyme as well).
4. Eat!

With meals like this, I’ve been happily cleansing and letting my stomachs rest – while certainly not feeling deprived of good food! This tomato salad also makes a delicious side dish for all kinds of meals, especially in the summer (I know I’m a bit early – but I can’t help anticipating).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That tomato is making me drool. No fair, all I get these days is anemic watery ones.

Katharine said...

I think the English equivalent is "beefsteak" tomatoes, although in the US they don't look crinkled like that! My father used to grow them every summer, no other vegetable, just tomatoes and beefsteak were the glamorously big round red ones - perfect for sandwiches (the reason BLT's were invented), salads, sliced on top of a char grilled hamburger, etc. Mmm, yum.

-Mom

Hopie said...

Amy - ;-) I was surprised to find such juicy ones!

Mom - I guess they are a type of beefsteak tomatoes, but I'd never seen that shape before! Pretty cool looking, huh?

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com said...

I love to find strange looking veggies. They are usually some heirloom variety that is almost extinct. If you can find them, you will always have better flavor.

Heirloom vegetables are stronger against pests and diseases and take less maintenance than mass produced hybrids we get at the grocer. You will find them among the organic growers but they are not exclusive to them.

I have fond memories as a child picking off hot tomatoes from my Aunt Maggie's garden and eating them like an apple. Mmmm, I think that's when I feel in love with food.

Hopie said...

Jill - Indeed, heirloom veggies are great when you can find them. That's why I love shopping at the organic market on Saturdays. And I agree, when I was little the only tomatoes I would eat were fresh-picked ones from the garden. I always said I didn't like tomatoes - but those didn't count - they were something so much better.